Top Tips for Grooming, written by a Dog Groomer based in Melbourne.
September 4, 2017
“Lost Dog – Wandering Dog – Where is my dog?!”
April 12, 2018

Top 5 Things Not To Feed Your Dog This Christmas

Guess what?

Christmas is just round the corner… *heavy breathing*

And while we tend to allow ourselves a little indulgence for this special season, we mustn’t forget that many edibles we consider to be treats might not be so for your dogs. It’s important to remember that while those fuzzy little faces are hard to disappoint, a simple no would save you quite a bit of trouble later on.

So, in preparation for the coming days ahead, below are the top 5 treats that you should avoid feeding your dog this Christmas.

1. Lollies and Chocolates

While chocolate may only have a negative effect on our waistlines, it’s common knowledge that the cocoa in chocolate is toxic to dogs. In fact, the darker the chocolate is, the worse the effect. Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhoea, hyperactivity, irregular heartbeat, tremor or seizures. In addition, you should also refrain from feeding them any form of lollies, biscuits, other sugary food or drinks, especially those that are artificially-sweetened.

2. Alcohol

As a dog-lover, you might have come across a funny video or two on YouTube where a human tries to get their pet drunk. Cute as it may seem, these drinks can actually make them extremely ill and could even be life threatening. Be careful to avoid leaving open drinks within the reach of your dogs at all times and refrain from feeding them food that may have been cooked with the bottle-o.

3. Cooked Bones and Dinner Scraps

Did you know that cooked animal fat trimmed from your meat cuts can cause pancreatitis to develop? Cooked bones are especially dangerous as they shatter and splinter easily, which could result in punctures or blockages in your baby’s internal organs. You definitely don’t want to have to rush to the emergency vet after a ball at your chrissie party.

4. Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins can sometimes carry a dangerous fungus and so we advise you to avoid them just in case you got a bad bunch! Although we do not know the exact cause of its toxicity, you should know that even the smallest amount of grapes can be fatal.

5. Christmas Pudding

Alas, the combination of all the above. Christmas puddings are jam-packed full of currants, raisins and sultanas, which are toxic to dogs. Then they’re also full of fat and suet which can give them severe stomach troubles. Last but not least, they are, more often than not, laced with alcohol. Definitely keep them away.

The best gift you can give your pet is a long, healthy life. If you suspect that your dog may have eaten something toxic or is acting strangely, it’s essential to take them to a vet as soon as possible to get them checked out.

And remember, if you need a trustworthy dog walker in Melbourne to look after your canine children this Christmas, don’t forget to call us at She Walks to fulfill your pet’s needs!

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas,
Nicola @ She Walks